Theme: European Christmas Holiday Country: Romania Languages: Romanian Unit of Currency: Romanian leu Locations: Botosani, Bucharest, and villages in the countryside Year: 2011 Bucket list: Visiting my Romanian best mate’s parents
DO: STROLL BUCHAREST AND ENGAGE IN ROMANIAN TRADITIONS
- Tasting the unique foods and wines in Romania – Moldavian stew (raw meat, liver, kidneys, heart, pork fat, and smoked sausages fried together) and served with salty sheep cheese
- Walking around the city at night while looking at the Christmas markets
DO: EXPERIENCE THE COUNTRYSIDE
Romania’s unbeaten paths:
- Driving around the countryside
1) The capital, Bucharest, is an amazing decorative city! I loved that the “Old Town” had a street celebration, which gave a taste of an European Christmas Market!
2) My best mate Adrian’s family is super sweet. During my visit to each of their houses I was offered liquor on my arrival. One of my favorite drinks was my favorite drinks was Cranberry Whiskey, with real cranberries that Adrian’s aunt grew in her house!
3) The people have been super hospitable and their grins are quite contagious! Christmas is definitely in the air!
4) The never ending mountains are absolutely gorgeous, especially snow capped! After 2 years, I finally touched snow! The northern part of Romania is covered in it! An awesome end to a great visit!
Next stop: Sofia, Bulgaria!